Caroline Wozniacki will return to the scene of her greatest hour when she defends the Australian Open at Melbourne Park over the next fortnight.
The world number three defeated Simona Halep in a classic final 12 months ago and is aiming to join an elite cast of female players to retain the Daphne Akhurst Memorial Cup.
Halep herself became a first-time major winner in 2018 and knows she will have a target on her back as world number one, while Serena Williams will again go for grand slam number 24.
With the women's draw once more set to be wide open, we have taken a look at the best Opta Facts for the biggest players ahead of the tournament.
WOZNIACKI LOOKING TO REIGNITE GRAND SLAM FIRE
- Wozniacki has failed to reach the quarter-finals in any grand slam since she won the Australian Open in 2018.
- The Dane triumphed in Melbourne but had failed to reach the last eight in her previous five appearances in the tournament.
- Wozniacki is aiming to become the first woman to win successive Australian Open titles since Victoria Azarenka (2012 and 2013).
- Only Azarenka, Williams (2009, 2010) and Jennifer Capriati (2001, 2002) have won the Australian Open in consecutive years since 2000.
HALEP AIMING TO JOIN SELECT TOP-RANKED GROUP
- Since 2005 only Williams (2010, 2015) and Azarenka (2013) have won the Australian Open as the top-ranked player in the world.
- Halep reached the final last year but failed to pass through the first round in her two previous appearances in the tournament.
- The Romanian has made it to the quarter-finals in four of her last seven grand slam appearances; she has also made it to three major finals in that span.
- There were three new women's grand slam winners in 2018 (Wozniacki, Halep and Naomi Osaka), the most there had been in seven years.
SERENA STILL COURTING MARGARET'S RECORD
- Williams' next grand slam victory will be her 24th, equalling Margaret Court for the most of all time in women's tennis.
- The American has not won any of the last seven grand slams, with her last triumph coming at the Australian Open in 2017 – this is her longest span without a major title since 2012.
- Williams has participated in eight Australian Open finals, more than any other player in the Open Era, including three of the last four.
OSAKA OUT TO GO BACK-TO-BACK, KERBER A CONTENDER
- Osaka is aiming to become the first woman to win successive grand slams since Williams (US Open in 2014 followed by the Australian Open, French Open and Wimbledon in 2015).
- US Open champion Osaka has never reached the quarter-finals in Melbourne, falling in the fourth round to Halep in 2018.
- Angelique Kerber has made the last eight in three of her last four grand slam appearances, including the semi-finals at the 2018 Australian Open.
- The German has reached the semi-finals in two of her last three appearances at Melbourne Park and won the title in 2016 but had failed to reach the quarter-finals in any of her previous runs in the tournament.
|BREAKING NEWS: Arsenal´s Bellerin out for season with ACL rupture|
|Gatland waiting on ´concrete´ offers|
|Ronaldo accepts prison sentence and €18.8m fine for tax fraud|
|Tsitsipas: It was vital to back up Federer win|
|Awesome Kvitova ends Barty´s home run in Melbourne|
|CA rejects Thunder appeal for full points in abandoned Heat clash|
|Emiliano Sala: Concerns grow for Cardiff striker after plane goes missing|
|Harden unimpressed with refs in Rockets´ 76ers disappointment|
|Ronaldo arrives for sentencing in tax fraud case|
|Record-breaking evening ´one of those nights´ for Warriors star Thompson|
|Hazard still interested in Real Madrid but won´t rule out Chelsea stay|
|Collins moves past Pavlyuchenkova, into Australian Open semis|
|Kohli makes history with ICC awards sweep|
|Thompson sets NBA record with 10 straight made three-pointers to open game|
|76ers hand Rockets largest loss of season, Harden scores 37 points|
|Tsitsipas overcomes Bautista Agut to continue Aus Open run|
|Barcelona move a ´dream come true´ for Boateng|
|Rams coach McVay on Gurley: I´ve got to get him more opportunities|
|Butler´s sprained wrist not expected to keep him out ´long term´|
|Saints owner Benson will ´aggressively pursue changes in NFL policies´|
|Levante to take Copa case to CAS|
|It can happen – Allegri plays down Ronaldo penalty miss|
|Mavericks´ Doncic becomes second-youngest player to record triple-double|
|Yankees send Sonny Gray to Reds|
|Ashley Cole reunited with Frank Lampard at Derby County|
|Arnold ready to mix things up in 2019 Asian Cup quarter-finals|
|Arum: Joshua desperately needs to fight in the United States|
|South Korea v Bahrain: Bento optimistic of continuing unblemished campaign|
|Bolton Wanderers 0 West Brom 2: Baggies bounce up to third after tennis ball protest|
|Confident Moeen ready to shine for England in the Caribbean|
|Juventus 3 Chievo 0: Allegri´s men cruise despite Ronaldo penalty save|
|Boateng completes shock Barcelona switch|
|United Arab Emirates 3 Kyrgyzstan 2 (after extra time): Khalil penalty sets up Socceroos showdown|
|West Indies add Drakes to new-look coaching team|
|Barcelona is a huge opportunity – Boateng confirms shock move is close|
|Donnarumma wishes Higuain luck ahead of expected Chelsea switch|
|Qatar v Iraq: Katanec anticipating ´huge challenge´ in last 16|
|Nuno hit with FA misconduct charge for pitch celebration|
|Furious Carreno Busta and Zverev bow out, Djokovic marches on|
|#NotMartinFromWakefield – Siewert shows viral sensation the door|
|Djokovic feeling the strain after late-night Medvedev battle|
|Henderson sidelined again ahead of Six Nations|
|Australia 0 Uzbekistan 0 (aet, 4-2 on penalties): Ryan heroics see holders hobble onwards|
|Halep exit leaves four-way fight to be crowned number one at Australian Open|
|Super Bowl-bound Rams set for London return, Chiefs to face Chargers in Mexico|
|Huddersfield appoint Siewert as Wagner´s replacement|
|Genoa 0 AC Milan 2: Borini and Suso step up with Higuain left out|
|McTominay signs new Manchester United contract|
|Pizzi to stand down after Saudi Arabia elimination|
|Boateng closing in on shock Barcelona switch - reports|
|Catalans to defend Challenge Cup after resolving RFL dispute|
|Djokovic wears down Medvedev to reach last eight|
|Mouratoglou: I knew ´loyal´ Serena would not fire me after US Open turmoil|
|Barcelona B defender Wague accuses Ejea fans of racist abuse|
|I felt like I had been hit by a train - Halep upbeat despite losing Serena battle|
|Arsenal confirm Mislintat departure|
|Icardi will renew, 100 per cent - Wanda Nara offers latest Inter assurance|
|Japan 1 Saudi Arabia 0: Four-time winners send Pizzi´s men out|
|A souvlaki maybe named after him, a growing fan base – Tsitsipas creating Melbourne buzz|
|Barca winger Dembele out for 15 days|
|Strikers blown away by Hurricanes in Adelaide|
|Ireland lose Beirne for England and Scotland clashes|
|´Innate fighter´ Serena says character key to beating Halep|
|Hudson-Odoi ´an outstanding talent´ - Bayern great Ballack hails Chelsea youngster|
|Scotland call up four as hand injury forces Watson out|
|Serena comes through major Halep battle to reach last eight|
|Better than Rafa? Camacho cameo leaves Klopp unconvinced by transfer options|
|England job ´a privileged position´, says Southgate|
|Emery has confidence in Arsenal outcast Ozil|
|Zverev destroys racquet in Aus Open meltdown|