Manchester United generated the greatest revenue of all clubs in Europe during the 2016 financial year, according to a detailed study carried out by UEFA.
The Premier League giants, playing catch up to neighbours Manchester City on the pitch this season, top that particular table ahead of LaLiga behemoths Barcelona and Real Madrid.
However, United's financial might comes with the caveat of recording the highest net debt on the continent, while City fans can point to the numbers in the argument over who possesses the superior squad among Europe's heavyweights.
Below, we've broken down the salient points from UEFA's extensive review.
UNITED THE BIGGEST KID IN THE PLAYGROUND
- The three-time European champions take their place at the top of the revenue table having recorded a figure of €689million, an increase of €169m from 2015.
- Catalan giants Barcelona are second on the list with €620m, a figure matched by their Clasico rivals Real Madrid.
- Bayern Munich, Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester City are the other clubs to record in excess of €500m revenue.
- But it was Arsenal who made the most in gate receipts, recording €135m, with Madrid (€132m) and United (€131m) second and third.
PREMIER LEAGUE WAGES CONTINUE TO SOAR
- For the first time on record, the average wage bill of Premier League clubs was more than double that of the next highest-paying league, the Bundesliga.
- The Premier League's aggregate figure came to a whopping €3.077billion while the average works out at €153.9m. The Bundesliga is next on the list with a mean of €75.3m.
- In terms of individual clubs, Barcelona paid out the highest amount in wages in 2016 at €372m, comfortably more than United (€321m) and Madrid (€307m).
WHAT— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) January 14, 2018
CITY'S EMBARRASSMENT OF RICHES
- Manchester City look nailed on to lift the Premier League trophy at the end of the season and critics would say that should be the least that is expected of Pep Guardiola's side, whose player assets amounted to a European-high €362m in 2016.
- Madrid (€334m) sit second on that list with United (€323m) third. Meanwhile, Barcelona's squad value of €202m sees them down in sixth, behind Chelsea and Liverpool.
- United's net debt of €561m - higher than any other club - accounts for over a third of the total debt in the Premier League (€1.525bn), while the English top flight's average figure of €76.3m is the most across the divisions, above Serie A (€63.6m) and the Turkish Super Lig (€38m).
Feeling proud about this team. We win and lose together, nothing changes. Great attitude. Props to Liverpool for a great game pic.twitter.com/P6MfrWQUd8— Kevin De Bruyne (@DeBruyneKev) January 14, 2018
|BREAKING NEWS: Iniesta´s Vissel Kobe move confirmed|
|Low upbeat over Neuer´s World Cup hopes|
|´No secrets´ in playoffs, says Celtics rookie Tatum|
|Real Madrid v Liverpool: Salah takes his chances better than Ronaldo - Opta|
|Cubs, Yankees find very different ways to lose|
|Cole hoping to see Rooney in MLS amid DC United links|
|LeBron feeling worn down following Cavs loss|
|Rahm enjoys ´traditional golf courses´|
|Upbeat Spieth eyeing first win of 2018|
|Ovechkin leads Capitals into Stanley Cup Finals|
|Federer: Serena may be the greatest of all-time|
|Copa Libertadores Review: Gremio top group, River and Flamengo draw|
|Celtics rebound with key game-five win over Cavs|
|Warriors duo Thompson, Iguodala questionable for game five|
|Suarez: Iniesta hard to replace at Barcelona|
|Slipper suspended after positive cocaine test|
|Cardinals´ Ozuna absent from line-up because he overslept|
|Ancelotti a ´real coup´ for Napoli as Insigne thanks Sarri|
|Johnston ´amazed´ to see Liverpool in Champions League final|
|Fearless Loftus-Cheek embraces England pressure|
|Butland shocked by Hart absence|
|It´s a football club – Klopp on choosing Liverpool over Man United|
|Emery appointed after secret vote, says Arsenal chief|
|Klopp used Sevilla loss to inspire European title tilt - Henderson|
|Lineker, Stoichkov, Zico - the stars who blazed a J-League trail for Iniesta|
|Golf not fame drives McIlroy|
|De Villiers tributes led by Du Plessis, Kallis and Tendulkar|
|Buttler ´maturity´ is just what England need, says Vaughan|
|Fit-again Wawrinka returns to winning ways|
|Toulouse take giant step towards Ligue 1 survival|
|Jets will not punish players for incurring anthem-related fines|
|F1 Raceweek: Hamilton and Bottas looking to build momentum - Monaco GP in numbers|
|Steelers´ Antonio Brown advises Le´Veon Bell to ´show up´|
|Stephens out in Nuremberg, Stosur wins Strasbourg final rematch|
|Clippers extend coach Rivers´ contract|
|Ancelotti ´thrilled´ by Serie A return with Napoli|
|Carlo´s Angels? Napoli boss poses for unusual photograph|
|Brady will attend Patriots mini-camp despite OTA absence - Kraft|
|World Cup hero, Champions League master - the best of Andres Iniesta|
|Heading to my new home - Iniesta drops massive Vissel Kobe hint|
|Neymar fitter than Brazil expected ahead of World Cup|
|Jardim, Jokanovic reject Chelsea speculation|
|Knight Riders rally dumps out Royals in IPL eliminator|
|Salah, Mane, Firmino trio could blow Madrid away, says Redknapp|
|Napoli appoint Ancelotti after Sarri departure|
|NFL stars must stand for national anthem if on field|
|Mascherano laments Romero injury blow|
|´Mr 360´ De Villiers retires after going full circle|
|Ronaldo already a Real Madrid legend like Di Stefano - Nacho|
|Pep or Pepe? The Spanish footsteps Emery could follow|
|Arizona, New Orleans land Super Bowls as NFL draft heads to Nashville|
|Sarri thanked by Napoli chief De Laurentiis amid Ancelotti reports|
|You never know! - Vettel and Hamilton joke about potential Ferrari link-up|
|It´s a silly question - Carrick insists Pogba has Man Utd future|
|Yates protects Giro lead as Viviani takes fourth stage win|
|Ozil one of Arsenal´s biggest talents - Emery|
|Fastest ODI hundred, 278 not out - De Villiers´ best knocks|
|Deschamps: Rabiot has made a huge mistake|
|Arsenal players can challenge for titles, Emery insists|
|Salah can seal Ballon d´Or with Champions League win - Riise|
|I want Real Madrid to lose Champions League final - Alba|
|Leverkusen sign goalkeeper Hradecky|
|Arsenal job a ´dream come true´ for Emery|
|De Villiers hailed as a ´colossus´ after quitting Proteas|
|Benitez expects Lascelles to stay amid reported Liverpool interest|
|Saha tells Martial: Stay and work for Manchester United future|
|Atletico Madrid defender Savic undergoes hip surgery|
|Bess to make Lord´s debut against Pakistan|
|Vissel Kobe announce news conference amid Iniesta speculation|
|Yan Dhanda leaves Liverpool for Swansea|